Your face on the back of my eyelids
for so many years
where it will stay,
our words carved into my heart
and lingering here,
All the pages we have written
we cannot erase
now our time is gone
and these steps we took
we cannot retrace
words smudge & fade to gray
every memo that we write
crinkles in due time
in the ether they're forever
stored in black & white
always in their prime
for so many years
where it will stay,
our words carved into my heart
and lingering here,
hands reaching from too far away
we cannot erase
now our time is gone
and these steps we took
we cannot retrace
and so I kneel to the dawn
this will be the last time
that my heart beats your name
I will wet my fingertips
and at last put out the flame
all that we were
we can never reclaim
we're a fistful of ash
and I'll take the blame
that my heart beats your name
I will wet my fingertips
and at last put out the flame
all that we were
we can never reclaim
we're a fistful of ash
and I'll take the blame
every memo that we write
crinkles in due time
in the ether they're forever
stored in black & white
always in their prime
they outlive what did not last
breathless whispers of the past
beckoning remembrance
of hearts once so smitten
that now barely touch
breathless whispers of the past
beckoning remembrance
of hearts once so smitten
that now barely touch
No comments:
Post a Comment